Search!

Feb 6, 2013

FBI Agent Bert Macklin Joins The Marvel-verse as Chris Pratt Will Lead THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY


I'll admit that when Parks & Recreation first aired, I was not a fan.  It seemed like an uninspired riff on The Office, a show I've never liked, and I remember specifically thinking that the Andy Dwyer character was the opposite of funny.

Have I mentioned that crow is goddamn delicious?*

Chris Pratt is a standout in the Parks & Rec ensemble, and now it appears he'll be doing the same as Star Lord, aka Peter Quill, the leader of Marvel's upcoming Guardians Of The Galaxy.  Pratt beat out some pretty impressive names for the role, including his Zero Dark Thirty co-star Joel Edgerton, Lee Pace, Jim Sturgess and Boardwalk Empire's Jack Huston.  Pratt seems like a natural fit with director James Gunn's particular brand of humor and style.  As the only human of the Guardians team, I'm sure they were looking for someone who can both tell a joke and throw a punch.

Pratt DESTROYS me on a weekly basis on Parks & Rec, he gave a sweet, earnest portrayal of catcher-turned-first-baseman Scott Hatteberg in the Sorkin/Zallian-scripted Moneyball, and he's gotten some  notable praise for his tough guy work in ZDT.  Coincidentally, I've also met Pratt, having appeared as his best man in one of many wedding scenes in the comedy What's Your Number?  In truth, I was made "best man" by virtue of being the tallest of the tuxedo clad extras, but I am clearly visible standing next to Pratt as he yells at his actual wife, Anna Faris.  He's a genuinely nice guy and I'm pretty excited to see what he can do for Marvel.

Pratt is the first solid casting for Guardians, although rumor has it that Marvel is interested in both Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler to voice Rocket Raccoon.  But don't think that this is gonna be a movie stacked with comedians, as most of the remaining Guardians have much more dark and dour backstories.  Then again, seeing as the franchise is built around a talking raccoon and a sentient tree, I expect Gunn to steer into the comedy rather than shy away from it.

We'll certainly get more Guardians casting news in the coming weeks, but I can't help but wonder as to the timing of the Pratt announcement.  I'm sure that Marvel was looking to change the story after the Planet Hulk story broke.  It's certainly easier than actually having to address those gamma-radiated rumors.  Classic misdirection!



*In my defense, Parks & Rec made a ninety-degree turn after its first season and it now barely resembles the show I initially dismissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment