Search!

Dec 13, 2012

The Kick Ass Trailer Parade Crescendos With PACIFIC RIM!



Last night I was sitting in the theater waiting to see Warm Bodies (review forthcoming) when my Twitter feed lit up with news of the first trailer for Pacific Rim, Guillermo del Toro's epic battle royale where giant robots (Jaegers) defend the Earth against giant monsters (Kaiju).  Normally for a movie like that I would wait till I get home so I can watch it on a proper screen, but my excitement got the better of me and I just couldn't delay.  Even on my 3.5 inch iPhone display, the trailer looked incredible.

When I got home and watched it in full HD on my television...holy balls.

GdT is a master storyteller whose creature work is unparalleled, so I've been pretty much sold on this project from the word go.  But what we're seeing here...this is mind-blowing stuff.  For everyone disappointed by Michael Bay's Transformers, this is the movie for you.  Gone is the confusing mess of exposed gears and cables in favor of clean, elegant robot designs that are instantly iconic. We're only getting a glimpse of the creatures here, but the same aesthetic principal seems to apply: simple, memorable monsters whose profiles eschew the lackluster bio-realism of the Cloverfield or Super 8 monsters.  And while I'm certainly not a gamer, I appreciate small touches like using the voice of GLaDOS from Portal as the voice of the Jaeger computer.

Plus it's always nice to see Idris Elba get to use his native British accent.

After we saw The Avengers, my wife commented how happy she was that someone had finally given Joss Whedon a giant pile of money and the freedom to really just go NUTS on film.  It looks like Legendary Pictures has done the same for del Toro here and I really couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you tagged Cloverfield but not Mechagodzilla.

    ReplyDelete