Search!

Sep 18, 2012

James Gunn Will Lead The Guardians Of The Galaxy


Last night I finally got around to watching James Gunn's Super, in which Rainn Wilson plays a fry-cook who loses his wife to a pimping, drug-dealing Kevin Bacon.  Believing he received an order from God (courtesy of a Christian TV superhero played by Nathan Fillion), Wilson dons a crimson costume and a plumber's wrench to beat the holy hell out of both dangerous criminals and the assholes in cut in line at the movies.  He also gains an unbalanced kid-sidekick in Ellen Page and has a fantastic catchphrase. ("Shut up, crime!)

That movie is, obviously, fantastic.

So imagine my joy when I awoke today to find that Gunn released a statement on his Facebook page officially announcing what has been rumored for weeks now, that he'll be both rewriting and directing Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy:


"For a month or so there’s been a lot of Internet speculation about my involvement with Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. Until now I haven’t said anything, because I’m trying to be less expulsive about this project than I am about the rest of my life. But last night I got the go-ahead from Kevin Feige to let you all know that, yes, indeed, I am rewriting and directing Guardians of the Galaxy.
As a lifelong lover of Marvel comics, space epics, AND raccoons, this is the movie I’ve been waiting to make since I was nine years old. Kevin, Joss, and all the folks at Marvel have been amazing collaborators so far, and we’re committed to bringing you something majestic, beautiful, and unique. I am incredibly excited. I am also incredibly grateful to the fans and the press for all their words of encouragement and support regarding my involvement with this project since the news first leaked. Thanks – you have, honestly, touched and overwhelmed me. And that’s it for now. Other than the occasional photos of my dog and cat here on Facebook, I’ll talk to you again in August 2014 when Guardians is released!"
If you're unfamiliar with Gunn, he's also responsible for Slither, one of the greatest horror comedies I've ever seen, as well as The Specials, which is a fantastic deconstruction of the superhero genre using a group of heroes with mediocre powers.  (It's essentially a smarter, lower budget version of Mystery Men.)  But his breakout work came from the infamous Troma company, directing what is probably their most commercial film, Tromeo and Juliet.

That's right, 2014 will see the release of a Marvel superhero movie written and directed by a Troma veteran.

And the world continues to astound..


No comments:

Post a Comment