Search!

Oct 7, 2011

TRAILER PARK! Marilyn Monroe Reads Young Adult Books About Poe To Elmo


Damn, we just got slammed with trailers here this week.  Plus the first proper trailer for The Avengers hits Apple on Tuesday!  For those who want to see it big and loud, I'd check out Real Steel this weekend, which I have a feeling is gonna be the sneaky good movie of the fall season.  (For the record, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was the sneaky good movie of the summer.)  Let's get to it.

First up is My Week With Marilyn, featuring the always remarkable Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe.    


Williams looks spot on as Marilyn, and she's surrounded by a top-notch supporting cast, including Emma Watson and Kenneth Brannaugh as Sir Laurence Olivier.  And get used to Eddie Redmayne, as you'll be seeing a lot more of him in the future.  I love the approach here, to tell a snapshot story about Marilyn at a specific moment in time.  With someone as iconic as she is, I think that sort of focus can often tell a more compelling story than a full on biopic.  (Note: Last I heard, Blonde is still set to start production early next year, bringing us Naomi Watts' spin the film legend.)

Next we've got John Cusack as Edgar Allan Poe in the gothic murder mystery The Raven


There have been a few movies about Poe in development recently and while I enjoyed the hell out of James McTiegue's V For Vendetta and I'm always a sucker for Cusack, I've getting a sort of Sleepy Hollow-ish vibe here.  It just seems to be trying a bit too hard.  While I like the premise, I fear that Cusack may have been woefully miscast here.  I think I prefer the following, which sets Poe as a 1950's Hollywood screenwriter.  There's a trailer below, but the full short has been pulling down awards at LA film festivals left and right.  (Full disclosure: this is the brainchild of a very talented friend of mine.)


Young Adult is a project that I find intriguing, especially since I'm getting married to a woman who's getting a graduate degree in children's literature.  Suffice it to say, my apartment is full of stacks of Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Lemony Snickett, etc.  Here we've got Charlize Theron as one such author who returns to her home town to reclaim a lost love... 

 

Jason Reitman is a guy that I show up for, as I really have yet to dislike any of his work.  Diablo Cody is certainly an interesting voice and I know she's got big love for the young adult genre.  (At one point she was working to bring Sweet Valley High to the big screen.)  Theron looks to be deliciously, wickedly and sweetly broken and I love the idea of her and Patton Oswalt as small town drinking buddies.  I feel like this trailer is just the first taste of what the film has to offer and that there's probably a LOT that we're not seeing yet.  But I'm game.

Finally, there's the heartmelting Being Elmo, which has gotten a whole heap of buzz coming out of Sundance.  I dare you to watch this trailer and not smile.  I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU.


That was exhausting.  I'm gonna take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment