Search!

Sep 21, 2011

TRAILER OF THE DAY! Leo Gets Fat For J. Edgar


I'm torn.

On the one hand, I love me some Leonardo DiCaprio, especially when he really immerses himself in a role.  I was never a fan in his younger, teen-heart-throb-y days, but his recent work in films like The Departed and The Aviator is beyond reproach.

On the other hand, I really can't stand the direction of Clint Eastwood.  All of his movies are dimly/awkwardly lit and they're heavy-handed as all hell.  Also, they're boooooooooooring.  The last thing directed that was legitimately worth watching was Unforgiven, and yet the guy has racked up a half dozen Oscar nominations.

Here we've got the first trailer for J. Edgar, the biopic about the titular former head of the FBI.


Hoover was reportedly both a cross-dresser and a closeted homosexual who not only espoused traditional, conservative values and appearance in his agents, but was known for ruthlessly tearing down anyone who he perceived to be a threat.  Suffice it to say, there's certainly fodder here for some truly provocative storytelling, but I have serious doubts we're going to see any of that as the script supposedly shies away from Hoover's controversial personal life.  That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Armie Hammer doesn't get some serious awards buzz for his portrayal of Hoover's second in command and probably lover Clyde Tolson.

Who are we kidding, I'll probably see this.  The cast is too good, even if Eastwood's directing will almost certainly bore me to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment