Search!

Aug 16, 2011

LISTEN TO THIS: The Muppets Green Album

It's no secret that I harbor some serious love for Jim Henson's creations.  I've seen all the Mupphet movies (Yes, even Muppets From Space) and there are currently three seasons of The Muppet Show sitting on my DVD shelf  that I can't believe I haven't cracked into yet.  My excitement level for this fall's return to theaters could not be any higher, although I wish they had stuck with the original title: The Greatest Muppet Movie Ever Made.  The spoof teasers all felt like vintage Muppet-style parody and I LOVE that Waldorf and Statler seem to have a major role to play this time out.

So here's a little something to whet your appetite:  One week from today, Disney will release The Green Album, a compilation of great Muppet tunes covered by bands like Weezer, OK Go, My Morning Jacket and The Airborne Toxic Event.  Lucky for us, NPR has the album streaming in its entirety, although you can't navigate from track to track.



I'm about halfway through right now and loving every minute.  Rest assured I'll be listening to this on a loop for the remainder of the day.  My absolute favorite Muppet cover song of all time remains Cake's version of "Mahna Mahna," but The Fray do a fine job here as well.  See the full track list below.
1. OK Go: "Muppet Show Theme"
2. Weezer and Paramore's Hayley Williams: "Rainbow Connection"
3. The Frawy: "Mahna Mahna"
4. Alkaline Trio: "Moving Right Along"
5. My Morning Jacket: "Our World"
6. Amy Lee: "Halfway Down The Stairs"
7. Sondre Lerche: "Mr. Bassman"
8. The Airborne Toxic Event: "Wishing Song"
9. Atreyu's Brandon Saller and Good Charlotte's Billy Martin: "Night Life"
10. Andrew Bird: "Bein' Green"
11. Matt Nathanson: "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along"
12. Rachel Yamagata: "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday"


No comments:

Post a Comment