Search!

Aug 19, 2011

TRAILER OF THE DAY! Ghost Rider Gets Cranked

I never caught Nic Cage's Ghost Rider movie, even though I thought the trailers and TV spots looked interesting and had a very cool sort of Western vibe to them.  I'll admit that I'm am an outright Cage apologist in most cases; I love National Treasure and I even vaguely enjoyed him in Sorcerer's Apprentice.  There's no excusing Season Of The Witch.  But I know that Cage is a tremendous comic book fan and that Ghost Rider was a bit of a labor of love for him, not just an actor trying to hitch his wagon to whatever superhero money machine would have him.  (Don't believe in his comic book bona fides?  His stage name, Cage, is taken from Marvel hero Luke "Powerman" Cage and he later named his son Kal El, a.k.a. Superman, a role he almost snagged himself back in the 90s.)

Ghost Rider just about broke even, but Cage has been hounding Sony since 2007 to get a sequel made and, more importantly, bring a fresh new perspective behind the camera.  In the end he got the dynamic duo of Nevaldine and Taylor, the guys who brought us the two Crank movies.  As ridiculous as it may sound, I think there's actually incredible potential in that marriage.  I mean, can you think of a better team to make a movie about a motorcycle riding anti-hero with a flaming skull for a head?  Exactly.



That trailer already feels very different from its predecessor.  A little darker, a little more adrenaline...plus 100% more Stringer Bell!  Really, I think that last gag says it all.  I actually think the five year gap between films could work in Cage's favor here, allowing them to the chance for a little bit of reinvention.  This puppy hits theaters just in time for my birthday next February.  Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment