Search!

Aug 18, 2011

Ridley Scott Returns To Run Blades

Ridley Scott is currently wrapping production on Prometheus, the prequel/spinoff/long-lost-brother to his sci-fi classic Alien.  Some footage was warmly received at Comic Con, although we've yet to see a real trailer or get any concrete details as to the actual plot.  Now Scott is heading back to the well once more, revisiting his dystopian android opus Blade Runner.

Details are more than a little scarce.  Again, we don't know if this is a sequel, a prequel or a remake, nor is there any inkling as to the possibility of Harrison Ford reprising his second most famous science fiction role.  This whole "shroud of mystery" approach seems to be working well for Prometheus, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott keep us in the dark for as long as possible once more.  I'd lay money that we'll get a new story with new characters existing within the same universe, although I wouldn't rule out a Ford cameo.

I have to say, as excited as I am to see Ridley Scott returning to sci-fi, and while Blade Runner is certainly a rich world full of storytelling opportunities, I'd rather see him working on new and original projects.  Then again, the prospect of a Len Wiseman Blade Runner is pretty terrifying, so maybe I'll just say "Thank you," and be on my way...

No comments:

Post a Comment