Search!

Aug 10, 2011

Bad Omen: Jersey Shore Cast To Appear In Three Stooges

Full disclosure: I know the Farrelly brothers.  I worked on Fever Pitch when it filmed in Boston and they are two of the funniest men I've ever met.  I still haven't caught up with Hall Pass, but I've seen all the rest of their work and while I'm the first to admit that some of them just don't work as movies, not a one has ever failed to make me bust a gut laughing at least once.

I've been a very big advocate of their long gestating Three Stooges movie.  I think they made a really smart choice to make three 30 minute shorts that are stitched together, instead of placing Larry, Moe and Curly into a feature length story.  A feature demands certain story elements that the Stooges are not really suited to, like a fully realized emotional journey for the characters, i.e. some important lesson they must learn, or change they have to undergo.  I don't want to watch Larry fall in love or watch Moe try to strike out on his own and learn to better appreciate his brothers.  The Stooges are a force of nature, a destructive tornado of hilarity to be unleashed upon an unsuspecting public.

All that being said, I must admit my disappointment to learn that the cast of Jersey Shore recently filmed a cameo in the Farrelly's Stooges movie.  (Props to my mother for the scoop.)  I'm sure it's very brief and will hardly be what makes or breaks the film.  And after the argument I just made, I can hardly argue the artistic integrity of Larry, Moe and Curly.  Mostly I'm just distressed at the continued existence of the Jersey Shore.  These people and their idiotic lifestyle are no longer even entertaining as a punchline and every time someone puts them in front of a camera, I die a little inside.  Putting them in The Three Stooges feels like a panic move by Fox, trying to inject a little youth into a franchise that hit its zenith before the advent of color television.

I was already pretty disappointed when we lost out on the potential brilliance of Sean Penn, Benicio del Toro and Jim Carrey as Larry, Moe and Curly, respectively.  Instead we're getting Sean Hayes, Chris Diamantopoulos and Will Sasso.  While I'm pretty unfamiliar with Diamantopoulos's work, Sasso seems genetically engineered to play Curly and Hayes will (hopefully) be departing from his usual five-alarm flaming onscreen persona.

Now let's see some character photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment